Post date: Sep 28, 2017 2:25:10 PM
Assignment 4: Minor Keys signatures
In your last music theory assignment, you identified and constructed major key signatures. This week we will be identifying and constructing minor key signatures.
Read This First!
Minor keys share key signatures with major keys. This is because minor keys are related to major keys. A natural minor scale is the same collection of notes as a major scale just starting and ending on a different note.
- Example 1: C major has no sharps or flats and is played with these notes in alphabetical order: C D E F G A B C. The relative minor of C major is A minor. It also has no sharps or flats but starts on A instead of C giving you this scale: A B C D E F G A.
The relative minor scale starts on the 6th note of the major scale and uses the same key signature.
- Example 2: The G major has one sharp. The G major scale is G A B C D E F# G. Its relative minor is E minor. The E minor Scale is E F# G A B C D E
- Watch the first 7 minutes of this tutorial. Do not go on until you have completed this tutorial.
- Follow the link below and complete 25 key signature identifications. (Hint: To identify minor key signatures, figure out what major key signature is displayed, then go down 3 half steps and 2 letters in the alphabet and that is the name of the minor key.
- Report your score on this form (also posted below) This is assignment 10 Key Signatures 2i (Minor) - Identify
- Follow this link to do 25 major key signature constructions. (Hint: Whatever minor key it asks for, go up 3 half steps and 2 letters to get the Major key and construct that. Then check to make sure that the key you just constructed does NOT affect the minor key name!)
- Report your score on this form. This is assignment 11 Key Signatures 2c (Minor) - Construct.
- This assignment is also due today.
- After you have done the required number of exercises, click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner:
How to report theory scores
- Next, click on "Show Progress Report".
- Enter your name in the space provided and click on "Sign Report"
- Copy the code that appears. us "CTRL-C" to copy.
- Return to the Reporter form and complete all of the fields. Paste the code (CTRL-V) into the code field and click on "Submit"