Music Department News 8/18/17
Post date: Aug 18, 2017 2:47:27 PM
Welcome back to school and we would also like to welcome parents who are new to the music program at Addison Trail. The music department is looking forward to another great year of music making. We will send periodic emails in an effort to keep you informed and up to date on ATHS music events, ways to improve your child’s musical experience and information about the benefits of music education.
New Music Department Webpage
If there is any information about anything ATHS music, you should be able to find it at www.athsmusic.net This website is your portal to everything you need to make your child successful in music education. Classes are listed on the left-hand side with information pertinent to each class listed under each class. Here are few of the highlights on that page
- Calendar - a comprehensive calendar of all music events with links to subscribe to calendars specific to each ensemble
- News - a news feed of announcements of interest to all music students and parents. Aside from this page, there are news pages that are specific to each ensemble and class.
- Private Lessons - If your child is currently not taking private lessons, they are not meeting musical potential. The goal here is not to train professional musicians but to give students the skills to make their musical experience at Addison Trail the best it can be. Students who take private lessons, not only excel at their instrument but usually excel in all of their academics and have a greater potential to earn scholarships because universities recognize that excellence in music equals success in college.
- Music Boosters - The Music Boosters at Addison Trail meet monthly at 7:30 PM in the Blazer Room usually on the first Monday of each month. Their efforts help finance private lessons, scholarships, and musical projects. They help students raise funds for music trips and raise funds for their projects by hosting the ILMEA District Auditions and the Pops Concert. Their first meeting is Monday, August 21st at 7:30 PM in the Blazer Room.
The Addison Trail Music Department uses a variety of 21st-century tools to connect to our parents and students
- Remind Text Message Alerts - Each teacher in music uses the Remind App to remind students and parents about upcoming events, assignments and potential schedule changes. To subscribe to a class, text the appropriate code below to the number 81010
- Symphonic Band - @athssb
- Wind Ensemble - @athswe
- Jazz Ensemble - @athsjb
- Concert Choir - @athscon
- Treble Choir @athstc
- Blazer Mixed Choir - @athsbmc
- Piano - @athspiano
- Music Production - @athsmp
- Shades of Blue - @athssob
- Symphony Orchestra - @athsss
- Chamber Strings - @athsc
- Beginning Guitar - @athsb
- Guitar Ensemble - @athsg
- Facebook - Information about upcoming events and articles that relay the importance of music education can be found at www.facebook.com/athsmusic
- YouTube - Concerts, recitals, and club dates are archived at our Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBfElpjf_3wcHQ3SYnkWsfQ
8/18 - Blue and White Community Night: The marching band will perform at this event throughout the night including a performance of their halftime routine. Start time is 6:30 with the band performing sometime after 7:30.
8/21 - Music Booster Meeting, 7:30 in the Blazer Room. All Parents are invited to attend.
9/8, 9/22, 9/29 and 10/13 - Come to a home football game and cheer on the team, and watch the Marching Blazers Halftime Show.
9/26 - Fine Arts Showcase. 7:30 in the Auditorium. The Band, Choirs, Orchestras along with Drama and Orchesis perform at this annual event.
Teacher Contact Information
As always, if you have a question about your child’s music education, feel free to contact their teacher. Welcome back and have a great year!
Mr. Mark Corey - Bands, Jazz, and Music & Art Department Chair
Mr. Jeffrey Nellessen - Choirs, Piano and Music Production
Mr. Alexander Stombres - Orchestras and Guitar
Ms. Rebecca Boisse - Staff Accompanist, Department aide and TRI-M Music Honor Society